I posted this a few days ago on Facebook, but I thought that perhaps my readers who are not on Facebook would enjoy a chance to hear 25 “fun facts” about me.
1. I rarely respond to anything forwarded to me, so it is a surprise that I am doing this. If I haven’t responded to something you have forwarded, don’t take it personally. And I won’t take it personally if you don’t respond to this.
2. I’ve been to 41 states, and will probably go to Oregon this spring. The hardest state to get to that I haven’t been in is Hawaii.
3. I’ve worked at a camp, taught high school English, and now work as a school bus driver, even though I’ve never thought of myself as “good with kids.”
4. My girlfriend and I met in Alaska, where we were both tour bus drivers in 2006.
5. My favorite team sport to play is Ultimate Frisbee. I used to enjoy playing soccer, but haven’t done it in a long time. Aside from that, I only exercise because I think I should.
6. I’ve never read the Da Vinci Code. I used to want to, but then I heard a very smug professor (not at Regent) say once that he always asks at the beginning of his religion classes who has read the Da Vinci Code (usually many people) and who has read the Bible (usually not many). He does that to illustrate how lightly Christians take the Bible even though they think it is God’s Word. I have read the Bible, and I kind of don’t want to read the Da Vinci Code because I don’t want to give that professor the satisfaction.
7. I’d rather be very hot than very cold.
8. I like chocolate, but I don’t like chocolate flavored things much. This includes chocolate cake and chocolate ice cream.
9. I feel guilty about spending money on things I regard as nonessential.
10. Books are essential.
11. For many years most of the clothing I bought was from thrift stores. Now my girlfriend and her parents like to buy me clothes, and I like this arrangement.
12. One of my favorite things that I bought at a thrift store was a navy blue set of coveralls with a United Airlines logo on one side of the front and the words “Ramp Service” on the other.
13. I love reading P.G. Wodehouse novels.
14. After many years of using PCs, I bought a Mac in December.
15. I hope I don’t turn into a Mac snob.
16. More of my iPod is sermons and lectures than music.
17. But I love ’80s pop.
18. My favorite football team is the Detroit Lions, and this is a major reason why I don’t watch the NFL much anymore.
19. The first tape I received as a gift: “Gonna Make You Sweat” by C + C Music Factory. The first tape I bought myself: “Classic Queen” by Queen
20. The first CD I received as a gift: “Bach’s Great Organ Works.” The first CD(s) I bought for myself: Led Zeppelin’s box set.
21. I think of myself as being kind of shy, but I don’t mind public speaking.
22. I’d like to write a book someday, but I’m not sure what about.
23. I’ve gotten three speeding tickets, and have been in two accidents.
24. I think John Calvin is not as bad a guy as he’s sometimes made out to be, but I wouldn’t call myself a Calvinist.
25. I’ve never smoked a cigarette or cigar, but have smoked a pipe – once.